Orbit presents this deluxe ‘Special Circumstances’ limited edition of The Culture: The Drawings, available worldwide exclusively from the Orbit UK store.
There will only be 750 copies printed of this exclusive collector’s edition.
The Culture: The Drawings is an extraordinary collection that celebrates the dazzling worldbuilding of Iain M. Banks, one of the most important and influential writers in modern science fiction. Faithfully reproduced from notebooks he kept in the 1970s and 80s, these annotated original illustrations depict the ships, habitats, geography, weapons and language of Banks’ Culture series of novels in incredible detail.
This deluxe ‘Special Circumstances’ edition includes:
- An exclusive, individually-numbered edition of The Culture: The Drawings bound in a cloth and foil cover, with foiled endpapers and a Marain ribbon marker
- A booklet of original Culture-inspired artwork, specially commissioned from digital artist Sébastien Garnier
- A guide to Asteroid 5099 Iainbanks
- Specially commissioned 3D printing files, designed by digital sculptor Nick Whitmore, that will allow you to print your own model of the M-DAWS Microdrone (more information below*)
- An art print of the System Class GSV Empiricist, ready for framing
- A certificate of authenticity, signed by the Estate of Iain M. Banks and the Publisher of Orbit UK
- A sumptuous, foiled, cloth-bound presentation case
*M-DAWS Microdrone 3D printing files
Included with this deluxe edition is a downloadable set of 3D printing design files, based on Iain’s drawing of the M-DAWS Microdrone. Created exclusively for this edition by digital sculptor Nick Whitmore, these files will enable you to print and construct your own drone model, to exactly the same scale envisioned by Iain in his schematic. Please note that the cost of printing this model is not included with the special edition, whether you chose to print this on a home 3D printer or with a third party 3D printing service. Please see below for terms and conditions regarding these 3D printing files.